Video Transcript

How to disclose and what happens next?

[Superimposed text: Sue Kapourelakos, Manager Assessment and Review, Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission]

A public interest disclosure can be made by anyone, including the public, employees of departments or other public sector agencies, police officers, council employees, and any contractor or consultant engaged by these agencies.

Disclosures may be made in person, verbally, in writing, or anonymously.

[Superimposed text: What might happen to a complaint that falls within the public interest disclosure scheme?]

IBAC only investigates complaints of the most serious, systemic wrongdoing. A complaint may be actioned in a number of ways.

First, by being referred to the Victorian Ombudsman or Victoria Police to consider investigating the issues raised.

Second, by being referred back to the public sector body that notified IBAC to manage the issues under their own complaints or grievance processes. In some instances, IBAC may seek a report on how the complaint was dealt with.

If IBAC is the most appropriate agency and the matter falls within our investigation threshold we can investigate the issues raised in a complaint.

We may also take no further action if too much time has passed since the conduct occurred, the complaint has already dealt with, or there is no new evidence to consider.

[Superimposed text: New pathways for public interest disclosures]

From the first of January 2020, changes to these pathways will allow greater flexibility in how the integrity system responds.

A number of new bodies are now part of the public interest disclosure scheme. These are:

  • The Integrity and Oversight Committee will handle complaints about the Victorian Inspectorate
  • Three new bodies will be able to investigate complaints IBAC refers to them:
    • The Chief Municipal Inspector regarding councils,
    • The Racing Integrity Commissioner, and
    • The Information Commissioner.

The reforms also allow external disclosures to enable additional action by a discloser where their complaint is not dealt with in the specified timeframes.

In these circumstances, a discloser will be able to make their disclosure to specified individuals who are ordinarily unable to receive disclosures, such as a journalist or politician.

More detailed information on the public interest disclosure scheme, including guidelines and information sheets, is available on IBAC's website.

[Closing slide:]