IBAC will hold public examinations into alleged serious misconduct involving Victoria Police officers in relation to certain aspects of the investigation into the murders of Sergeant Gary Silk and Senior Constable Rodney Miller, in February next year.
In November 2017 IBAC, IBAC commenced an inquiry into police conduct in the Victoria Police investigation of the murders of Sergeant Gary Silk and Senior Constable Rodney Miller in 1998, following the receipt of new information. The investigation, known as Operation Gloucester will now progress to public examinations.
The examinations will focus on:
- the Lorimer task force investigation of the murders of Sergeant Gary Silk and Senior Constable Rodney Miller, concerning:
- the taking of witness statements
- the preparation of the brief of evidence for the trial of Bandali Debs and Jason Roberts (the trial)
- whether there was full disclosure of witness statements or other relevant information prior to or during the trial
- witness statement taking practices by Victoria Police
- compliance with the obligation to disclose evidence by Victoria Police.
IBAC Commissioner, The Honourable Robert Redlich QC will preside at the examinations. Counsel assisting will be Mr Jack Rush QC with Ms Catherine Boston of the Victorian Bar.
Anyone with information relevant to the investigation is encouraged to report it at www.ibac.vic.gov.au/report or phone 1300 735 135.