When not declared openly, or managed consistently, conflicts of interest can cross the line into corruption. They may include:
- accepting gifts or benefits in exchange for services, contracts or favourable decisions
- existing or prior personal or business relationships
- associating with others who have a business or criminal interest in the public sector
- breaching agencies’ declarable associations policies
- taking secondary employment that conflicts with their primary public sector employment.
Our information sheet on conflicts of interest covers how to better understand and manage conflicts, along with effective prevention and control measures.