There are opportunities for Victoria’s public bodies to better demonstrate that decisions are fair and accountable through enhanced transparency.
Why is there limited transparency?
- limited oversight of activities by elected officials and lobbyists
- failure to declare and properly manage gifts, benefits and hospitality
- underreporting of suspected misconduct and corruption
- limited use of data analytics to understand and analyse corruption vulnerabilities, and minimal sharing of data publicly.
Ways to improve transparency:
- public registers of elected officials’ interests
- public access to ministerial diaries
- public register of lobbying activity
- availability of post-separation employment information
- registers of awarded procurement contracts
- availability of government data and information on decisions made.