Annual report 2016/17
IBAC's annual report 2016/17 provides information on our progress to achieving our vision of a corruption resistant Victoria. It reports on our operational and financial performance, highlights key challenges and achievements, and looks at how we will continue to expose and prevent corruption and misconduct in the year ahead.
IBAC's fourth year of full operation has seen a range of activity and achievements including:
- tabled six special reports before Parliament on operation and prevention activities
- delivered 93 corruption prevention initiatives
- as a result of investigations, made 47 formal recommendations for public sector agencies to improve their systems, practices and controls
- assessed almost 5000 allegations of suspected corruption or police misconduct resulting from complaints and notifications
- held corruption prevention and integrity insights forums in Mildura and Wangaratta as part of engagement and outreach in regional Victoria.
We continued our independent oversight of Victoria Police, with almost half of our active investigations focused on alleged serious police misconduct.
IBAC also completed a major investigation, Operation Ross, into the treatment of vulnerable people at Ballarat Police Station. Another investigation, Operation Apsley, into illicit drug use by police ofﬁcers, represented one of IBAC's most intensive and complex investigations of Victoria Police personnel misconduct. The resulting special report detailed evidence of multiple police ofﬁcers being involved in the use, possession and trafﬁcking of illicit drugs.